Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 16 year old cat, always in good heath, always indoors,

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat, always in good heath, always indoors, seems to get lost in the house and can't find the food 5-6 feet away. I have to hold it close to her, rattle the bowl and sometimes must loudly call her name, just to get her attention.
She will eat for less than a minute and wander off, repeating the above behavior sometimes in less than 5 minutes.
Is it her smell? Eyesight? Hearing? She was just at the vet, but they didn't check for thesr and I didn't think to ask.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

If this were eyesight or hearing issues, she would likely eat ravenously every time she found her food bowl. This sounds like cognitive dysfunction, which is basically like senility or dementia. I would try to close as many doors as possible in your home and simplify things for her as much as possible- litter box and food and water in easy to find places. If your recent vet visit did not include full blood work, I would go back and ask for blood work to make sure that everything is normal otherwise. Good luck... it is hard dealing with geriatric issues with our beloved pets.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.