Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Behavior change last year - 4 year male cat indoor in good

Customer Question

behavior change last year - 4 year male cat indoor in good health bite me and hold on - seems like a dominence behavior ... only relief make a harsh hissing sound at him of dislike . occurs when we are snuggle in bed, he could have just walked on to my
chest and plopped down . a few hand strokes and whap or he will be push his head into my hand to mark and get petted and all of a sudden he has my wrist in his mouth and he's is holding a grip .. his name is Einstein
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. It sounds like Einstein is exhibiting a severe form of play aggression. At time, cats can become so imprinted onto a human that that forget they are not another cat. I would assume that Einstein is the only cat in the household? When cats are younger they learn how to play from their mom and other cats, in terms of cues of what form of aggression is okay and what is too much. However, you are not able to provide that same suggestions to him because you don't have claws and fangs and the same verbal cues. For now, I would not allow Einstein in the bed with you if this is a trigger for his play aggression. I would also stop making hissing noises at him as this may be confusing the situation and making his playful aggression worse. Tips to try.. When you play with him, never play with your hands..get strong rubber toys or toys that provide some distance between him and your hands and arms; he doesn't need to equate you with things to chew on. Also, you can try a small water spray bottle to discourage him when he is playing too roughly to get him out of the moment, so to speak. If he is not neutered, then surgery will greatly help to reduce play aggression. You can also get him a pheromone diffuser for inside the house to provide a gentle calming (such as a Feliway diffuser). Another more drastic measure is to adopt another cat for a play mate, preferably one closer to or younger in age and female so he can learn appropriate play and have a healthy outlet for his play aggression. I hope this advice is helpful to you:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you !
Will be getting a service dog in about one year a woodle now 9 weeks old .. Einstein was raised for first 6 mo with a German Shepard who believed she was mom .. Is good with dogs as long as they don 't chase .. Service dog is being raised with cats So I hope all goes well

Okay great! If my advice was helpful in helping you and Einstein, I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to give my response a positive rating:)

Hello again, I hope Einstein is doing well..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett