petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cats top lip is being eaten away by what looks like a

Customer Question

my cats top lip is being eaten away by what looks like a fungus. Help! It is eating her nostrils away
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

How long has this bee going on?

Has your cat been seen by your vet for this yet?

Has any testing been done?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started about a year ago. Was taken to vet and told it was an allergy to plastic. Replaced dishes with stainless. Didn't help.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

There is a condition in cats know as eosinophilic granuloma complex and can present as a lip ulcer that can become very severe and erosive. Untreated, these ulcers can become very large. In most cases, they will respond to steroid treatment, but some cases need other immunosuppressive medications if the steroids alone are not helping. There is usually an allergic component, but it can be to environmental triggers, food allergies or even parasite, so the work up can be time consuming to identify the trigger. Here is a link with more information about eosinophilic granuloma complex. LINK HERE

Of course there can be other conditions that can lead to lip ulcers including cancers, auto immune diseases and vasculitis. The best course of action to rule in or rule out any of the above disorders is a biopsy of the affected tissue.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z