Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat urinated on the kitchen counter - VERY unusual as she

Customer Question

My cat urinated on the kitchen counter - VERY unusual as she ALWAYS has used her box. Box was not really dirty. Set paperwork outside to dry (necessary things) and saw the finest crystals on it. Oh yes, she really threw up (liquid) once and then just a bit of her dry food the next day - about four days ago.
What kind of food should I be looking for to feed her (and two other cats)? Checking into Petco's Merrick's grain free. She has not had another episode over the past week, and looks like she's feeling fine.
If she were getting FLUTD, should I put her only on wet pate food as suggested in another site? She loves her dry, but not sure if this Merrick will do the trick!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

A lot to cover here. Give me a few minutes to prepare an answer.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You clearly have been doing your reading if you know about FLUTD, and specifically, idiophatic cystitis, which is a component of that condition.

Here's the problem: Even if improved, for a female cat, it is critical to get the urine tested. Why?

Well, she was also vomiting. That can be very common with urinary tract infections.

So, I would strongly advise against a food change until that urine is tested, or the diet change could possibly make Cleo worse.

Now, regarding food changes:

FLUTD and cystitis is believed to be stress-induced. When it happens once, it can happen again. One of the most popular foods, I believe in the world, is the prescription diet Science Diet C/D multicare stress formula. It is clinically proven to reduce the incidence of FLUTD.

Yes, as you read, it is believed that cats with bladder issues (or also with chronic gastrointestinal problems) may benefit from an all canned diet.

I have no reason to believe that the Merrick will be o any additional benefit. Also, there is no research to support a grain-free diet is any better. It is true that some pets can have allergies to grains. But!

MOST food allergies are usually due to the protein in the food not the grain.

Changing to Merrick and hoping the issue will resolve won't work. If the issue resolves it is simply because the cystitis (bladder wall inflammation) resolved on its own.

Diet change will almost never remedy a acute onset of cystitis. Food change is more for helping to prevent recurrence.

Well worth the urine test as a precaution.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?