Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

MY CAT HAS ONE KIDNEY FUCTIONING AND MEGACOLON SCREAMS WHEN

Customer Question

MY CAT HAS ONE KIDNEY FUCTIONING AND MEGACOLON SCREAMS WHEN USING LITTER BOX, IS ON LACTROSE AND CISAPRIDE, THROWS UP SOMETIMES WHEN WANTING TO PASS A STOOL, HE PASSES EVERY 2 DAYS MAYBE AN INCH
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, this poor guy. Sounds like your veterinarian has you doing all the right things. Are you also giving him daily or several times a week subcutaneous fluids at home? In cats with profound dehydration this helps tremendously! As well, working with diet to find one easy for him to digest such as Eukanuba Low Residue can be very helpful. From a medication perspective, there is not much more than what you are using. There are other stool softeners (such as miralax) but the lactulose works the best.

With profound megacolon to the point he needs frequent enemas from your vet, surgery is something to seriously discuss and has helped many of my patients. But we reserve this for the most severe cases.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

HI. I am following up to find out how Baby is doing. If there is anything further I can be of assistance with, then please let me know.