Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat has had a scant amount of food and water in the past

Customer Question

My cat has had a scant amount of food and water in the past 36hrs. She has a potassium deficiency and gets potassium gluconate (1/8 tsp) x2 daily. She also gets Tapazole for her thyroid condition x2 daily.which are mixed into her wet food. Because she's not eating the symptoms of the thyroid condition give her that dropped head and shoulder look. My concern is whether she'll hold out till morning.
What would you advise please.
Jo-Anne
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern. I am preparing an answer now.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo-Anne,

Well, my response must be based without doing my own examination. I would expect Sunshine to get more dehydrated over the next 12 to 24 hours, but I have no reason to suspect that the lack of water or food would be life-threatening.

If you were to observe any tremors, seizures, labored or open mouth breathing, then I would get in ASAP.

With her conditions, definitely, have a recheck blood and urine test performed to get an overall idea of her health. A vet may also want to give some subcutaneous fluids (under the skin) or start an IV if dehydration is more severe.

They can also start an appetite stimulant medication like Mirtazapine, but remember, that doesn't address the primary cause.

Ideally, I would prefer treatment sooner, but understand if you can't go.

Hope that information helps.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jo-Anne,

I must retire for the evening, but hope that answer gave you some guidance. If you have any follow up questions, please respond, and I will get back to you in the AM, Pacific Time.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - how is Sunshine doing today? Do you still need help? Just let us know if you do.

~Dr. Sara