Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I was my cat when I noticed on s neck a sticky spot. It also

Customer Question

Customer: my name is Ed. I was petting my cat when I noticed on his neck a sticky spot. It also smelled awful. I put him up on the counter and tried to take his collar off but for some reason was having a problem. The cat didn't like it either. Finally I cut the collar off and there is this huge wide open gash in his neck! I don't know what to do. Even though it looks horrible and smells, he still seems in good spirits. The cut is super deep, but not bleeding.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that it seems as if the collar grew into him. Im very scared for my cat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, it appears that your cat grew and the collar was too small for him causing a deep and infected wound which needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. The affected area is clipped and cleaned and a topical antibiotic is applied and a systemic antibiotic is prescribed. These wounds should heal well once the collar is removed and the skin properly treated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?