Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat seemed to have injured s tail midway down, it's a

Customer Question

My cat seemed to have injured his tail midway down , it's a little swollen, and has been two days , I'm taking him to vet on mon . They r closed on weekend . I've been giving him 1cc of feline pain meds I had on hand. Do they wrap the tail or is there something else I can do till Monday..he won't let me touch the Area, he's healthy and two yrs old ..
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

There is very little that we can do for a tail injury other than pain medication and giving it time to heal. Tail wraps don't do much and don't stay on for long. One of the most common things to cause pain and swelling of the tail is some kind of animal or cat bite. Sometimes the swelling is an abscess forming under the skin from a bite wound. In those cases it is very helpful if the abscess can drain. If he would let you touch it you could use a warm compress gently on that swollen area to encourage it to drain. If he will let you, take a wash cloth and get it wet with water as warm as you can stand it and just apply it gently to the swollen area for 2-3 minutes twice a day.

If you have additional questions, please ask. If not, please rate my answer.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy