Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My kitten has scabs on her neck and she has scratch off the

Customer Question

My kitten has scabs on her neck and she has scratch off the fur on the back of her neck, she was a stray that found me about 3months ago. She had fleas when I gave her a flea bath is when I first noticed the scabs. She eats like ahorse and plays like a kitten.What can Ido about her skin problem
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Trouble today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When was the last time she had a flea bath? Is she still an outdoor cat? Can you tell how old she is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2months ago with flea bath now has a flea collar she has not been outside not for sure how old maybe 5-6months

Okay thanks for the additional information. If she has had scabs when you first found her she may have had a flea allergy. Since she was scratching hard enough to form scabs she may have developed a skin infection. So if her condition has not improved then she may need antibiotic therapy. Also if she has had a sensitivity to fleas a flea collar may not be enough to keep fleas off of her. She may need a topical flea product such as Frontline or Revolution. Most flea collars tend to only repel fleas around the head and neck. But not around the tail area. Does she still seem itchy at all? If that is the case then she may need something to help with the itching such as a steroid or an antihistamine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen any fleas on her after a week or so with the collar,is there any over counter ointment I could try?

I think they sell Frontline at some stores. That is what I would recommend over anything else offered in the stores, otherwise anything else I would recommend would be veterinary exclusive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are welcome, Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks, ***** *****