Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat keeps sneezing what can I do

Customer Question

my cat keeps sneezing what can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been sneezing?

Any nasal or eye discharge?

If he has nasal discharge, is it from one nostril or both? What color?

Any appetite loss or breathing changes?

Any new airborne products being used in the house (ie carpet powders, candles, sprays, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 3 weeks.no discharge,a little appetite change none
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could cat litter have any thing with it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Is it a new litter brand that you have not used before?

Is it quite dusty when you pour it into the box? Scented?

Does he sound congested at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we had not used it before it is scented it is a little dusty he is not congested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is not as active as before
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see sneezing caused by a range of issues. Still, if we are using a new litter that may be dusty and scented, then this is a concern here. Therefore, the first step would be to swap to a previous well tolerated litter or use of an allergen free one (ie paper or sand based).

Further to that, if he was quite irritated by this, we can start some supportive care. Specifically, you can use OTC non-medicated saline drops (ie Ocean Mist, Little Noses) to clear the irritant from the nasal passage. To do so, you can drip 2-3 drops into each nostril as you have his head tilted back. You can then release his head, let him huff these out, and then wipe away any discharge. Cats hate this but it can reduce that irritation for them.

As well, if we do suspect the irritant is triggering an allergic sneezing, we can also treat with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, we do need to monitor him generally at this stage for improvement as we address the litter situation. This is because we can see flu agents flare-up to cause mild signs of this nature. And if he is a bit less active that remains a concern. Therefore, we'd want to make sure he keeps eating (warming or using smelly soft foods can help if he has a bit of congestion), keep an eye out for any discharges (as those can be signs of bacterial infection requiring antibiotics), and potentially pre-treat with L-lysine (an OTC nutrient supplement) if he has any history of herpes virus exposure. But hopefully once we address that suspicious litter, we will see Tobias settle.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)