Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 5 month old kitten (probably positive was near death.

Customer Question

My 5 month old kitten (probably positive for FeLv was near death. After force feeding her and giving clavamox, she is 95% better. She is eating on her own, but after eating a small amount, she coughs, gags (that's the sound) and sometimes while eating she cries like it hurts to swallow. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, how long it's been since you began to force feed and give Clavamox? Her coughing, gagging, and now showing evidence of oropharyngeal pain suggests upper respiratory infection and inflammation in that area. This should abate within 1-3 weeks depending upon which infectious agent is present. While the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is most often responsible, if Socks is truly immunocompromised by FeLV any number of opportunistic infectious agents can be present. Has Socks been tested for FeLV and FIV or received any vaccinations or worming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do now believe it is upper respiratory! I have 2 more "strays" that I am trying to keep alive. I also remember my vet (she has been out of state all week) telling me that so many vets are seeing so much upper respiratory in fections this year. I mentioned FeLV because it seems to run rampant in the colonies out back of my house in the woods. I started force feeding her about a week ago and it took at least 4 days for her to start eating. Now she won't stop. Yes, she has had her first dose of dewormer. No vaccinations yet, but once I can release her outside (and bring another one in) I will schedule her for shots! I am very opposed to testing for FeLV because I know it will probably be positive for all cats in my area, Also, I have an inside cat who is positive, but as full and healthy otherwise. Thanks so much for your answer, Because of it, I will leave her inside (locked in my bedroom) for another week.

Thank you for the additional information. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Go Socks!!

I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?