Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat ate about 3/4 Cup of turkey grease in the last 30

Customer Question

Our cat ate about 3/4 Cup of turkey grease in the last 30 minutes. should I induce vomiting?
He was diabetic, but has been off of all meds for about a year.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B.

Now diarrhea is very likely with his eating the grease. Still we also have the risk of this causing vomiting and potentially pancreatic inflammation. And since he has a history of diabetes ( which is related to the pancreas), we do need to tread with care. Therefore, its ideal to induce vomiting now. To do so, you can give him 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5 ml per pound. This can be repeated three times in total giving at least 15 minutes between doses.

After we get as much out as possible, plan to offer a light diet like boiled chicken or white fish for a few days to offset all those signs. And if you do see any appetite loss, vomiting or belly pain; then we'd want a check with his vet so that this can be nipped in the bud for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)