Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a cat that is about 1 1/2 years old. I cleaned the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have a cat that is about 1 1/2 years old. I cleaned the floor the other day with Pine Sol (which i've never used before) and my cat started sneezing really bad. It has been two days now and I'm curious to if I should take him to the vet due to him having some type of respiratory reaction to the pine sol. What would be your recommendation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What type of information do you require?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm not worried about the $19 dollars.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Is he still sneezing?

Any discharge out of the nose? If so, please describe it.

Is he eating?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any redness or discharge from the eyes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is still sneezing but no discharge. He sneezes several times in a row. He goes through spells from time to time.
He is eating
No vomit or diarrhea
And his one eye is inflamed but it gets like that from time to time due to him having herpes and the vet said that would happen from time to time. There is no discharge of any kind.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. It is definitely possible that he has some allergic irritation from the Pine Sol, but i would expect that to be improving after a day. My thinking is that the sneezing may be due to his related herpes infection. It doesn't sound like much of an emergency, but I would have your vet check him out tomorrow if the sneezing continues. They may want to start him on some antibiotics and antihistamines. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.