Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our 8 year old cat has been in distress all afternoon. This

Customer Question

Our 8 year old cat has been in distress all afternoon. This well mannered cat started to pee in a sofa and was visibly panting and just went to a corner of the room obviously in distress. Now 5 hours later there is saliva drenching her lower jaw and she is laying down staring at the wall, not giving eye contact when we check in her. She is rolling on the floor and meowing loud sporadically. Do you have ideas on what we should do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that Tabbee isn't feeling well tonight. I'm afraid that I'm not set up to do phone calls, but I don't want you to have to wait any longer for a response.

I'm very concerned about Tabbee based on your description. Visibly panting in a cat is always a true emergency in my book that should be evaluated ASAP by a veterinarian. Cats are masters of hiding their illnesses, so often by the time they experience any sort of outward distress as you're describing, their condition is quite advanced. Based on your description, I fear that she is in a potentially life threatening condition. My suggestion would be to get her to the nearest veterinary emergency center ASAP.

The two most common things that can cause a cat to have respiratory distress like panting would be either heart failure or an asthma attack. Both are potentially life threatening and need immediate treatment. Asthma has a much better long term prognosis for heart disease, which is often fatal within a matter of months. Asthma can be managed for years in most affected cats. Other possibilities here would be toxin ingestion, infectious diseases, neurologic disease, among others - unfortunately the list is quite long. In any case, I would suggest getting her to an ER immediately.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)