Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been vomiting a gooy light tan substance that

Customer Question

my dog has been vomiting a gooy light tan substance that smells like poop, We think she might be eating the cats poop. can this be causing it or is it more likely an obstruction?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

How often is she vomiting?

Is she still eating?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not seem to be exhibiting any signs of pain when I push on both sides of her abdomen as for eating. she eats if we put down meat or ,meat leftovers but has never liked the dog food..
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

How often has she been vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a couple of times off and on for a month or so.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

So this has been going on for longer than the 2 days you originally stated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going by what my son tells me. he knows more than I do.. but it has been more on for the last 2 days..
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. My original question was referring to the past 2 days. How often has she vomited the past 2 days?

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I just had an emergency come in and am going to have to opt out. Another expert will pick up from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 4 times... she seems to be ok when it comes to energy too. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, this is for a dog not a cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While occasional vomiting isn't unexpected in dogs and often represents simple dietary indiscretion - ingesting something new, inappropriate (cat feces), spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item, vomiting that exacerbates and is accompanied by other symptoms such as anorexia, lethargy, weakness, or diarrhea should be investigated by Tootise's vet. Her energy level is still good and so X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen should be considered in case a foreign body has been ingested. Most of us will perform basic blood and urine tests as well because there are so many causes of vomiting we need to rule out the common ones with such testing.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.