petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Diarehea

Customer Question

diarehea
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Are the stools just soft in appearance or are they liquid? Is there any blood or mucus present?

Is she an indoor only cat or is she allowed outdoors as well?

How is she feeling? Is she still eating? Drinking?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stools are very loose with no appearance of blood best I can tell. Also did not see mucus. She is an indoor cat only. She is begging for more food, but I have been concerned about giving it to her. She is still drinking water. I have not changed her diet and she has been having loose stools for 3 days. She is a small cat, only 7 pounds. I rescued her a year ago and she has had several health issues which I thought were resolved. I had her to the vet on 11/20 where she received a distemper vaccine, a flea treatment and depo/methylprednisolone injection for a problem with sores around her tail.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit, but most will continue to feel pretty good and maintain a normal appetite.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. It is possible the stress of the recent veterinary visit may have set it off, but there are other factors that may be involved. I would definitely recommend that you contact your veterinarian to see if they feel they want to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. Since she was just examined, they may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications instead.

In the meantime, I would fast her to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

When they have been going on chronically, these GI disturbances can be frustrating to diagnose and treat and sometimes we don't even find the cause, but concentrate on controlling the symptoms so our pets are comfortable. In her case, since it appears to be an acute flare up, there is no reason to think that it won't resolve completely. Make sure to get in touch with your vet if she is not improving so they can get her treated appropriately and verify that there is nothing else going on to be causing these signs.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.