Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat periodically licks plastic bags. There is food and

Customer Question

My cat periodically licks plastic bags. There is food and plenty of water available to him.
Can you think of any reason for this strange behavior?
Thanks, Mary
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mary. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Tigerboy. The licking of the plastic bags by him like this most likely is being done as he likes the act of it, the texture of the bag or possibly some odor on the bags. My older cat does this all the time too! If a plastic grocery bag is left out, she will find it and lick it for a couple minutes. She usually discovers the bag at 2 in the morning in the bedroom and I get woke up to the bag being licked. It isn't necessarily a sign of a health issue. It isn't bad, unless they were to start chewing on it and eat portions. The best thing to do to avoid it is to keep the bags put away.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?