Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a male cat (fixed) who is an indoor outdoor cat. Last

Customer Question

I have a male cat (fixed) who is an indoor outdoor cat. Last year he had come home and it almost looked like his cheek had exploded. I immediately took him to a vet and they said he had had a abcess that had burst (possibly from a fight) They cleaned it up, put a collar on him and gave him antibiotics and in the end it cost me $600. Tonight he came home and one cheek is very very swollen again. I don't know what to watch for or what to do. I don't have that money to spend again as I am sole support for a disabled husband and special needs grandson. We love him very much and I wouldn't consider ever putting him down and letting something bad happen to him. what should I look for? Is there anything I can do for him myself?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your problem with your kitty! Can you tell me if he is eating and drinking still? Does he seem to have a normal energy level?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am off to bed for the night so will opt out in case you come back online later, someone else may be able to help you.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. Doesn't look like anyone else has answered your question, so I will go ahead here. I wish I could tell you there is a cheap at home way to fix an abscess, but it doesn't exist. The fact of the matter is, that antibiotics are required if that is what is going on with your kitty. I would get him in as soon as possible, because if t

he area is just swollen now and hasn't actually formed an abscess, it is possible if you get him on the antibiotic right away, the area will decrease just with that alone, whereas if we wait too long and an abscess forms, then it may have to be lanced/drained/flushed/etc. Here is an article on abscesses: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=550

and another: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=361

I worry with it being on his face, does he have something going on with a tooth? Sometimes we can get abscesses of hte tooth root that can develop swelling and rupture on the side of the face. Not sure where your kitty's issue is, but these are usually located on the upper cheek under the eye area. Be sure to ask your vet if this could be his issue, because if it is, then it will just keep coming back if the tooth isn't removed. As I said, not sure if this is his problem since I cannot examine him.

I wish you the best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions.