Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 8 year old male cat has recently had an ear infection

Customer Question

my 8 year old male cat has recently had an ear infection with brown crusty matter that I have washed from his ears, Have had him to the vet 2 times now, has been treated with Remicin ointment and a special wash 3 times a week. It has been a month now, the brown crusty matter is appearing on his nose and he has sores on his feet and legs. Not sure what to do next.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Sylvester is experiencing this. This is an unfortunate and reasonably common scenario, though. When we have recurrent ear infections +/- dermatitis, then this usually indicates there is an underlying allergy. The most common allergy to affect the ears and face is a food allergy. But it is not as simple as changing brands of food. You need to discuss with your vet doing a hypoallergenic food trial with a prescription hyper allergenic diet for 8-12 weeks. If at the end of this time there is no relapse of ear infections or facial dermatitis, then this is the most likely cause.

In the meantime, you will need to get more ear treatment from your vet and probably have Sylvester seen to discuss treatment for his dermatitis which may require an antibiotic and a corticosteroid.

Good job using the ear cleanser. If yo have left over ear medication you could resume until you can get Sylvester seen

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am following up to find out how Charlie is doing and if you came up with a plan working with your vet. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Dr. Joey