Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat has been chewing at herself. Recently gave her

Customer Question

my cat has been chewing at herself for months.
Recently gave her medication capstar (I think that is the name) followed by revoultion.
She is now losing fur, what can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

First, I want you to get a flea comb and comb around the head and butt area....let's make sure that fleas are actually the problem...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If you find adult fleas or flea dirt then we will know that fleas are the problem..

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If you find fleas then I would recommend that you take your kitty into the vet to get a steroid shot and also you will need to treat your home for fleas....a vet can help you with this.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I would also recommend if you find fleas that you use frontline and you can use it every 2 weeks for several months...frontline is very safe and can be used every 2 weeks....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If you don't find fleas then there is another problem....there is another possibility such as food allergy or environmental allergy.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

So when kitties are itchy then the main possibilities are flea allergy, food allergy and environmental allergy...fleas are easily ruled out by combing for adult fleas and flea dirt....I have outlined what to do above if it is fleas.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have treated her & I know she has fleas, I quess my question is could this be mange?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If it is food allergy then your kitty will need a food trial with a product such as science diet low allergen ZD....for a minimum of 12 weeks....without any other foods.... there is a 99% chance that you are dealing with fleas or food related allergy...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that it could be mange but it is more likely that it is flea related allergy.....when kitties get alot of flea bites then they become allergic to the bites.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

The best possible way to find out if it is just flea allergy is to get her steroid injection as that will improve her symptoms quite a bit.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If you are still seeing fleas then that is your probelm and it will not get better quick....you will need to treat your house every 2 weeks for at least 3 treatments. I would recommend knock out spray by Virbac...it works really well, also make sure to vacuum your house before treating the house.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

get your kitty a steroid shot and also use frontline every 2 weeks for several months......

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

can I answer any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I have to retire for the night as I have to work tomorrow but if you have additional questions please let me know and I will get back to you tomorrow night.

Please hit rate my servcice as that is the only way I am comensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

sorry...compensated.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B