petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat went missing days, came home with swollen lower belly

Customer Question

My cat went missing for four days, came home with swollen lower belly and bruising along with leg.
Emergency vet#1- took X-ray we were told he had an inguinal hernia with intestines and bladder pushing through. Since our cat was completely stable we took him home and got another opinion the next day mainly due to the quoted surgery cost.
Vet # ***** and 3 (same practice)
Performed surgery, and was neutered.
Doctor called me and told me he had a small tear in his belly wall which they fixed. I was told no hernia, and all his internal organs were fine. She told me not to worry about two puffy spots I was told far pockets another surgeon looked in during the surgery and agreed.
Today my cat pulled some of the stitches out and incision looked a bit ozey vet that did surgery not available
Go to vet#4 places a couple of staples, and gives him a shot of antibiotics. Takes another cray and we are back to square 1, those are not fat pockets he has a hernia with intestinal involvement. He needs major surgery huh!
The cat just had surgery 6 days ago, and has been fine. Eating, drinking, potty ok....alert. Two doctors at the surgery it was a belly tear.
I just don't know what to think?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Maximus today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I am a little confused since a tear in the belly wall is a hernia, but it can occur in different spots besides the inguinal area. Are you sure that they aren't referring to a diaphragmatic hernia that they are seeing on the xray? This is the internal wall that separates the abdominal organ from the chest and is frequently damaged when there is a trauma. When it occurs, there would be no outwardly visible signs of a problem and the surgery to repair is much more costly than an inguinal tear.

It is impossible to tell what is truly going on without exploration of the inguinal region. If there was an inguinal hernia, an xray can give somewhat of an idea and if there is intestines involved, it would be seen, but why they didn't not that at the surgery, I do not know. I will tell you that when there is a hernia, the intestines are not always out and can often move in an out of the abdomen at will. If he was on his back during the surgery, it is possible they slipped back into the abdomen and that is why they didn't see them. It is also possible if there was a fat pad there, it would be obscuring visualization, but if they palpated the inguinal ring, they would likely be able to identify if a hernia was present.

If he seems stable, I would wait and have the surgeon who originally performed the surgery re-evaluate and repair.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z