petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

What is the minimum age of a cat I can give itraconazole and

Customer Question

What is the minimum age of a cat I can give itraconazole and what is the dosis?also for how long?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Has dermatophytosis been diagnosed in your cat by your veterinarian? Has the strain been identified?

How old is your cat?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Is this the only cat in the household?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I foster animals for a rescue. I need a second opinion about itraconazole. I will appreciate an answer and not further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Ringworm in cats needs to be treated with a combination of effective topical therapy, systemic therapy and environmental decontamination. All cats in the household need to be toothbrush cultured regardless of if there are lesions or not and positive cats should be treated with topical and systemic therapy.

Itraconazole 5-10mg/kg/day is the drug of choice for dermatophytosis treatment, but if the product that you are using is compounded, then there appears to be an poor absorption issue and brand name Sporanox is needed. You can use the liquid Sporanox or eyeball out a half of a 100mg capsule; then mix the half capsule with a small amount of butter or canned cat food.

I am not aware of any minimum age limitation, but should not be used in any pet with evidence of liver disease and liver values should be checked if the pet shows evidence of adverse reaction or in older pets. There are variable dosing regimes but is typically used daily. Also ideally weekly whole body lime sulfur dips are recommended as the most effective topical antifungal therapy, and to reduce contagion of the infected hairs shed into the environment. Treatment for dermatophytosis is continued based on fungal cultures, not based on resolution of lesions. The first toothbrush fungal culture is performed four weeks after initiating antifungal therapy. Two consecutive negative fungal culture results are usually sufficient in single-pet situations, but in multicat situations, continued systemic therapy is recommended until you obtain three consecutive negative fungal culture results.

Hope that helps.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I foster for 2 years now and had ring worm 3 times. I know a lot about it and just wanted a second opinion.
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Good luck.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lavinia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.