Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I had an ultrasound done on my cat and they found several

Customer Question

I had an ultrasound done on my cat and they found several masses in his belly. IHe has lost so much weight in the last 2 months I can feel his entire skeleton. He wasn't eating for about a week when my vet gave him a steroid shot for stomatitis. He was diagnosed with this disease a year prior. When it would flare up I would get him a shot of steroids. I assumed when he wasn't eating this last time it was due to his stomatitis. This is when my vet found the mass inside and we ran further tests. He's 13 years old and weighs about 7.5 lbs. He drinks fine and only eats a tbsp. or more at a time. He's home most of the time unless he wants out to go to the bathroom. All I've seen so far is diarrhea or him straining for something to happen. I've added some pedialite to his water hoping to at least keep him hydrated. I see him throw up occasionally. usually a greenish clear liquid. My Vet tells me to take him home and keep him comfortable and when its the right time to put him to sleep that I'll know. Well I don't know and I don't want to rush it because he may look bad one day and better the next. Can you advise me in this very sad time.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. When I am evaluating quality of life, I look at their appetite, activity level, interaction with the family, pain assessment, demeanor and bathroom habits. If he is not eating, getting thinner, getting weaker, sleeping all day, doesn't interact with the family, seems painful when getting up an moving around, constantly has stool problems, seems anxious or has urination or defecation accidents in the house; the quality of life is usually starting to get bad. Of course, if you see multiple of these issues forming, I would seriously consider euthanasia. You didn't mention if the vet gave a steroid injection this last time. If not, that may actually help him feel better and increase his appetite. The effects are transient, but it helps. I would also consider starting him on some metronidazole (prescription from your vet) and/or a higher fiber diet to help with the loose stools. Usually a teaspoon of Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin suffices. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sunday,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John