Robert Ratcliffe
Robert Ratcliffe,
Experience:  Veterinarian/Owner at Hamlin Veterinary Clinic
90992088

My cat in one week has loss a lot of fur off the back of s

Customer Question

My cat in one week has loss a lot of fur off the back of his ears. We are leaving town for the holidays and I am concerned about leaving him? What is causing this loss? He shows no concern himself but he is 12 yrs old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Robert Ratcliffe replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Ratcliffe and I would like to see if I can help you. Have you checked your cat for fleas using a flea comb that can be purchased at most pet stores? Have you checked the ears for excessive wax build up or other type of debris?

Ear mites, fleas, stress and or possibly a food/seasonal allergy can all play a roll in the loss of hair, also known as alopecia, from your cat. Products such as Revolution, can treat ear mites and fleas. If no fleas are found and the ear canals appear clean, I would suggest having the cat examined to ensure allergies are not the underlying problem. If there are changes in the cat's environment, stress may be the cause. A veterinarian can prescribe anti-anxiety medications if needed. I hope I helped.

Hi Vickie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Robert Ratcliffe