Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is an indoor cat he started vomiting foam about 3

Customer Question

My cat is an indoor cat he started vomiting white foam about 3 days ago, the vomitinh has stopped but she does not want to eat she is drinking. She is very difficult to get in a carrier. How long can she go without eating, Is there a real worry here.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is drinking water
It is ery difficult to open her mouth she is a very skitish cat always,
I just touched her belly she does not seem uncomfortable
There does not seem to be any diarhea
This happened once befor about a month ago we thought she over ate and then things resumed back to normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is this is now going on a couple of days, and how long can she go without eating. right now she is sitting in the sun sleeping she usually talks alot now a few cries an an occasional meow?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has stopped taking in a proper amount of food for 3 days already, then we'd already have to be concerned here. This is because cats are not designed for anorexia. In fact, if cats are off food for over 2 days, we do start getting concerned about secondary hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome). This is where their body mobilizes fats to feed the starved body, but in cats this then accumulates in the liver causing their anorexia signs to become even worse and often makes it even more difficult to get eating without IV fluids, injectable anti-nausea medications and appetite stimulants. So, it is a worry already.

That said, I would note that her lack of appetite still suggests nausea even if she is not vomiting at this point. Often cats, with their faulty logic, stop eating to avoid vomiting. It tends to work but obviously being off food isn't good for them either. Therefore, considering her signs, I would note that you could try some basic supportive care to settle her stomach. To start, you can try her with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on alight/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, 2-3 days is already a worry for anorexia in cats. Therefore, I would suggest starting the above now to try and get her settled. But if this lingers despite that, then we are already at a point where we'd want to consider having her seen to offset the risk of fatty liver disease which could end up requiring her to be hospitalized to settle this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much for your help. I am going to get her to the Vet. any great ideas to get her in the carrier.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I think that is the safest option here. In regards ***** ***** her into the carrier, it can help to wrap her in a towel first. Or I do find putting cats in back end first (either pushing them in backwards or by tipping the kennel up and lowering her in back feet first) easier then head first.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )