Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Cat has hair loss, itches constantly which leads to sores

Customer Question

Cat has hair loss, itches constantly which leads to sores and vomiting. $500 later, vet has no idea what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this...the most common cause of constant itching in an indoor cat is going to be food allergy and this also fits with the vomiting as some patients can have this as a "symptom". It sounds like your vet has done a good medical work up but has not done a food trial for your kitty..... I would suggest that you speak with your vet about starting a food trial as soon as possible. I would recommend using Science diet DD venison and pea food. This is a novel protein and you are likely to get the best results with this. A 12 week food trial needs to be done while feeding only the DD food for the entire time in order to get a diagnosis of food allergic dermatitis. If your cat does not like this food then the ZD low allergen food can be tried. Science diet has a palatability guarantee so if your cat does not like the first food you can get your money back and try the second food. Food allergy is very common in animals and is extremely under diagnosed.....I hope this helps you but please let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.