Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat is approx. 7 months old. It has always been an indoor

Customer Question

My cat is approx. 7 months old. It has always been an indoor cat, it is a male and was fixed at 6 months. He is litter-box trained but will not always use it. His stools are extremely loose and he goes at least 8-10 times a day. His appetite is fine, we feed him dry food.i know there is something wrong.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Can you tell me a little more about him? Have his stools always been extremely loose or is this something new? Is his weight ok? Any vomiting or hairballs? How is his energy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his stools have always been this way, his weight, if anything is on the high end. He's had no vomiting or hair balls. He has plenty of energy.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you know if he has ever been tested for or treated for intestinal parasites?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he has not
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The first step would be testing him for intestinal parasites and doing a course of treatment for this, just to be on the safe side, because we would hate to miss something as big as that! If after treatment there is no improvement, then I would be concerned he has a food sensitivity/intolerance or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

Article on IBD: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598

So he needs to get in to your vet to get the stool test, and for an exam to start. If he doesn't improve with the deworming treatment, then the next steps would probably be a diet trial with special prescription food, and if no improvement them, considering either additional testing for IBD or a course of steroid (prednisone) to see if he responds to that (which would indicate IBD may be the issue).

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just wondering if you had any questions on the information I provided for you?