Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My kitten, is approximately 6 months old and he seems like

Customer Question

My kitten, Jack is approximately 6 months old and he seems like he is constantly hungry! He always whines and hangs around the kitchen and even trys to steal food. He gets fed morning and night plenty (maybe slightly above requirement) but he still acts like he has never eaten. He basically vacuums his food immediately. I can't even leave out some biscuits or anything if I go away because he will eat them straight away. I am currently using a spray bottle to try and stop his stealing of food, has improved but I just don't understand why he acts so hungry all the time!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, my does that sound excessive. On the one hand, this could be "normal" for a growing male cat. They do tend to be very obsessed with food. And, as long as he is a good weight, then you are doing a great job by meal feeding him and trying to dissuade him from people food. It may also not be a bad idea to consider changing foods to one that perhaps has a slightly higher protein content. I do like the Royal Canin growth foods. They do seem to keep cats happy. You can also feed him 3 meals a day and see if that help.

However, it is always good to give a cat the benefit of the doubt. Intestinal parasites could cause this, and it may not be a bad idea to drop a stool sample by your veterinarian as a screening. If he has any symptoms (e.g., loose stool, intermittent vomit, etc) then an exam with his veterinarian is warranted and then discussion of doing testing other than stool checks. It is also not a bad idea for him to have an exam with his veterinarian. I have had kittens with neurological (brain) issues that are fixated on food. As well diseases that can cause maldigestion at this age could lead to this (such as pancreatic insufficiency).

This could be behavioral. Feliway diffusers or spray throughout the house might help him to relax.In addition, placing some food throughout the house so that kitty has to "forage" for food and substituting toys and play time whenever kitty is becoming aggressive for food. No food reward for being aggressive about getting food.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.