Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have an 9 month old kitten and she started pooping outside

Customer Question

I have an 9 month old kitten and she started pooping outside the litter box even though it was clean and we have 3 of them in different places.Her poop was pudding like, but got more runny. I took her to one vet and they ran some test and said she was fine and change her diet to soft, grain free can food even though I begged them that it didnt sound right since she used to eat anything (I know she's not supposed to have human food, but she loves yogurt, fish, cheese, and turkey and it never bothered her before). It helped for a day or so (poop became more solid), but then went back to normal. I took her to a different vet that was recommended by a friend, and they did more tests. Her fecal sample was normal, she had no bacteria in the feces, she didn't have worms, but did have a slight fever. They gave her a probiotic and 1/4 tablet of metronidazole (250 mg) twice a day, but she could take double doses if it wasn't helping. It did help, but I ran out and couldn't get to the vet since it was about a*****and I was busy with work,family, and school. Then I noticed my other cat, she's almost two years old, started pooping randomly on everything and they were very large and solid for two days. She would run to the litter box (clean litter and we've used the same litter for years with no issues) and then stop and run around the house.I put her in the garage while I went out to get my kittens medicine and came back and now her poop is like the kittens (pudding like). She's opposite than the kitten she is very picky and doesn't like human food or even certain cat food and treats. I'm going to school, working almost full time, and taking care of sick parents so I don't have much money and I've already spent close to $400 already. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to give them up due to this, but I can't afford to keep them healthy like they deserve.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They both have always been strictly indoor cats and have their rabies and distemper shots up to date. We do have three other cats, all which have their shots, but two live outdoors and one indoors. The cat that lives indoors shows no signs of illness like the other two and the other two do come indoors a lot too, but mainly stay outside. Also. all of the cats are fixed. I feel another part of the sickness is the house they live in. Long story short the house is about 100 years old and wasn't lived in for over 5 years. There were rat feces everywhere, but me and my fiancé cleaned the house the best we could and kept them away from certain areas of the house that we felt weren't "clean" enough for them to be in (certain closets and laundry room; That is where most of the feces were and the way the room is you can't mop it since it is untreated wood). They have been there for about 3 months and within the past month the sickness has started with them. When they lived with me at my previous home, which was only 7 years old and newer they never had this problem. We tried to move them back into my previous home with my mother, but the diarrhea was so bad and it started to stain my mama's light carpet very bad no matter what we used to scrub with. Even with the few days they were there however there was still no improvement with their health. There are mainly hardwood floors in the older house so that made with easier clean up so we are making them stay there until we figure out exactly what is wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding to you.

Sounds like so far your two vets have done a good job looking for the normal causes of this type of issue. If only the kitten was affected then at this point I would be concerned we either have an atypical infectious problem (infectious such as atypical parasite or infection are most common) or her digestive tract is just terribly upset from the initial insult and needs some help stabilizing. I did not see that she is on a probiotic. If not, then this is a definite must right now; she may need this for several weeks. There are several options for this. The two made for pets that I trust are Fortiflora or Proviable. For people you could try Culturelle (half capsule daily or use one of the child's caps once daily) or VSL#3 (this is more expensive and you would be doing about half a capsule). This helps tremendously to normalize the system. Sounds like you have already done a bland diet (such as Hills i/d or Purina En or Eukanuba Low residue) for a few weeks, and this would help to continue.

I recognize you have spent a lot of money already but if you and your vet were to do a next step test it would be to submit the comprehensive stool sample to the lab to have a PCR test for all the infectious diseases like campylobacter, giardia, tritrichomonas, etc. I do think it important to have your vet do a cytology evaluation of the stool but for them to report no "bacteria" suggests this was done. As well, an X-ray may be helpful to ensure this is not due to her having swallowed something that is stuck in her system. However, with the other cat affected, an infectious cause (parasites, bacteria) becomes more likely.

I do want to comment on the no response to metrondazole which is a highly effective anti-diarrheal. This may indicate again one of the atypical infections like campylobacter which can be contagious between cats and is not very responsive to this medication. You could always discuss doing a trial with the treatment antibiotic for this (there are two choices can try for this) and doing a general dewormer (if not already done) with a 5-day panacur course.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.