Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My rescue group has a cat that we have had at 5 different

Customer Question

My rescue group has a cat that we have had at 5 different vets and no one seems to be able to help him. The vet we took him to this week said he has Pseudomonas??? I have been doing rescue for over 35 years. I don't know what this is and is there a treatment?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions, though to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is the Pseudomonas infection in his nasal cavity or sinuses?

Did your vet diagnose the Pseudomonas based on taking a sample and sending it to the lab for a culture? If so, did they test it against different antibiotics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nasal cavity. Yes the vet sent to lab. I can't spend anymore money. So far almost $3200. On one cat.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Pseudomonas is a very resistant bacteria that is usually an opportunistic infection. It is a common secondary infection with people who have been in the hospital for a while. We most commonly see it in chronic ear infections. It is resistant to a lot of antibiotics. I assume that when it was cultured, it was tested against different antibiotics? If not, it should have been. The problem is that it is resistant to a lot of antibiotics. I am assuming that your vet has put him on antibiotics it has shown to be susceptible to as well with no result? Most often, it is susceptible to gentamicin, but that only comes in an injectable or topical form. Giving the injections chronically makes them prone to kidney disease. I would talk to your vet, though, about getting him on a nebulizer and using gentamicin in the nebulizer for him to inhale. That way it gets right to the site of infection and less so in the bloodstream. Less of a toxicity concern. Other than that, the only other other option is getting referred to a surgeon to open the sinuses, flush them out and place medication in there. The cost of that would be a lot more, though, and I know that you cannot spend that much more on him. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Annette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John