Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat dumped a small cup of peppermint oil over while

Customer Question

My cat dumped a small cup of peppermint oil over while catching a mouse. I cleaned him with a bath of Dawn dish soap. I can still smell peppermint on him. I'm not sure what else to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. How long ago did this happen? How is he doing?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you washed him well with Dawn, you probably got most of the oil off him and he should be OK. If you want to be sure, I would bathe him again, and try to keep the Dawn soap on him for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse really well, and then get him dried off.

If he licks himself and ingests any peppermint, the first thing you would see if he gets too much peppermint would be vomiting.

Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer; that is the only way the website will credit me for helping you. Please let me know how he is doing. Rebecca