Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat is 15 years old. 2days ago she started to drag her

Customer Question

my cat is 15 years old. 2days ago she started to drag her front leg. took to a vet blood work was ok could not found anything wrong. she is not going to the bath and is not eating
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

If you pinch the toes firmly on that limb, can she feel it or even pull the limb back?

Is she just dragging it with the top of the paw dragging the ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she does not seem to feel it. yes top of the paw is on the ground
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like there is nerve damage to that limb. It could be anywhere from the elbow to the spinal cord. With a cat her age, the most likely cause is a tumor. A blood clot is possible, but that is not a common place to see it in cats. That usually happens in the rear limbs. If your vet hasn't taken an x-ray, they can start there, but you really cannot really see a tumor around the nerves or spinal cord with an x-ray. An MRI or CT scan is necessary for that. Trauma would be another potential cause. Damage to the radial nerve from blunt force trauma is common. It she is an indoor only kitty, it would be unlikely. If she goes outside, it could be due to a car accident. Like I said, though, with her age, a tumor would be the most likely scenario. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had a x-ray and nothing looked wrong she has not used her litter box for 2 days she is eating a little please let me know what you think I should do
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

The x-ray is a good start, but it won't help you diagnose neurologic problems, which is what she has. If I am being completely honest with you, her symptoms are not good, considering what the most likely diagnoses are. If she was my patient, I would tell the owner that we need to seriously start thinking about her quality of life here. If she is going to have a chance, your vet would need to hospitalize her, put her on intravenous fluids, make sure she doesn't have a fecal impaction (and clear out her colon if she does) and give her supportive care to increase her appetite. I am skeptical, though, that she will get better. When you felt her toes, if they were cold, then it may be a clot. If they were warm like the rest of her body, then a tumor is most likely. Please let me know if you have further questions.