Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have at home some metronidazole left from other times. It

Customer Question

I have at home some metronidazole left from other times. It is 250 mg tablets. How much is the safe dose for a 10 pounds cat? Thanks Andreea
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I dose cats at 6.8 mg/lb twice daily or 68 mg for a 10 lb cat twice daily. Practically speaking 68 mg is 1/4 of a 250 mg tablet. If treating for IBD and twice daily is effective, I see if once daily still is effective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok o don't have enough then. I will see if she prescribes some but I started today the panacur on both

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi dr Salkin. Some news. Today the vet called and had me go to do an X-ray to rule out obstructions. Well that is negative she has none
Now she says next after maybe a week is past the last dose of panacur to bring in a fecal sample so that we do the pcr test for tritrychomonas cripto and guardia. If that negative she says then do an ultrasound. If they are all negative then she has ibd and will need life long metronidazole treatment potentially.
Does that sound right?
How long after last dose of panacur should I bring that sample in?
Also could be maybe an issue with the rectum since the blood is only on the last inch or so of the feces? Starts normal and ends bloody.

It's a bit dogmatic. Wait a week after the last dose of Panacur to collect stool for testing. If negative, an ultrasound is a good idea but scoping and biopsy should be more informative. The presence of bright red blood does indicate ulceration or severe inflammation in the distal colon or rectum and so scoping would allow biopsy of that area for a more definitive diagnosis - in particular, a specific type of colitis that might be addressed with something other than metronidazole. Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the ultrasound be normal and then the scope show stuff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I can afford scoping for this year until I am done with school. Can she just treat until metronidazole until maybe I can afford the scoping?

Absoltoodinaly

Yes, that's reasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I forgot to tell you she put on weight since her last visit. She was 9.8 lbs now she is 10.2 in 2 weeks
In other words, can this kill her if I don't do this colonoscopy and just do metronidazole?
Do you recommend that I get at least that ultrasound since it is cheaper or not even bother?

She's obviously not very ill. Doing nothing might be the most appropriate manner forward unless blood is always present and will respond to metronidazole. No, I don't believe that an ultrasound is going to be informative.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean if blood is present and will not respond to metronidazole?

No. Doing nothing is OK unless bleeding persists and then it makes sense to dose with metronidazole because that drug has worked well previously.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes sense!

Ta da!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?