Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has developed a solid mass under her fur along the

Customer Question

my cat has developed a solid mass under her fur along the top of her spine that is now about 4"x1.5" - I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be larger now. At first I thought it was matted hair and brushed through it for several days - now I can feel a solid mass under the hair and cannot remember ever seeing this on any other cat. She is 16 years old and has always had hairball issues - always been an indoor cat that never goes outside. She doesn't seem to be physically any different than usual - clear eyes, good appetite, brushing or petting doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I hope I can help with your question.

Can you get a photo or two of it and post it here? A picture is worth a thousand words.

In one picture it would help if you showed enough of the cat that I can get a sense of its bulk and orientation.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty's problem. Can you give me a little more information? Is the mass soft and squishy or pretty firm? Is the mass mobile- can you move it around in that area a bit or is it pretty firm in one spot? Is the mass underneath the skin, and not involving the skin itself? Is there any hair loss or discoloration to the skin?