Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I HAVE 4 CATS. I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE FERALSTAT.

Customer Question

I HAVE 4 CATS. I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE FERALSTAT FOR THEM.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Megestrol acetate in the form of Feralstat is no longer available. The adverse effects in cats are too profound for this hormone to be recommended in that species. We've seen profound adrenocortical suppression, adrenal atrophy, transient diabetes mellitus, polydipsia/polyuria (increased thirst/increased volume of urine), personality changes, increased weight, endometritis (inflammation in the uterus), cystic endometrial hyperplasia (often a precursor to pyometra/uterine infection), mammary hypertrophy, neoplasias (cancers), and hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity). This synthetic progestin can still be prescribed by a veterinarian; however, there are are safer alternatives for all of its indications. Please let me know why you're interested in megestrol acetate for your cats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i HAVE 3 OTHER CATS FOR 6 YEARS. THESE OTHER 4 CATS WERE BORN FROM A STRAY WHO DIED. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE TO HAVE 4 CATS MEDICALLY TAKEN CARE OF. I AM FEEDING THE 7 CATS NOW. I DON'T TRUST THE ASPCA. I SPOKE TO THEM AND I THOUGHT THEY WOULD RATHER ELIMINATE THESE BEAUTIFUL KITTENS. I AM USING BIRTH CONTROL SIMILAR TO THAT OF HUMAN FEMALES. NONOUVULIN I WILL BE 80 YEARS OLD THIS MONTH SO i CAN'T DO TOO MUCH RUNNING AROUND WITH THEM. I WILL STICK TO THAT. I LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST. PLEASE TELL ME THE RIGHT DOSAGE FOR THEM. I WILL BUY A PILL CRUSHER AS I AM USING A KNIFE TO SPLIT THEM INTO PORTIONS. THANK YOU. CATHERINE BEALIN

Thank you for the additional information, Catherine. I don't have any experience with Nonovulin in cats but this is what I found online: http://floridacatnews.blogspot.com/2014/06/nonovulin-dosing-chart-with-mg-column.html

Please continue our conversation if you wish.