Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I also have a goat that is losing some hair along s upper

Customer Question

I also have a goat that is losing some hair along his upper back by shoulders. He is 5 months old. I also have a 7 month old who is fine. His skin is not irritated or red. Fur is not completely gone. Fur is black but is thick grey next to skin like dandruff. He is eating and sting fine.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I ca help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Harry & his hair loss. My first thought is to eliminate the possibility that this may be due to an external parasite, such as lice or mites. This is quite easy to do with ivermectin, available at any feed or farm coop store. The dose is 200 micrograms per kilogram injected under the skin ( subcutaneously ) one time & I would do both Harry & his buddy.

Not knowing the size of the goats, the above translates into about 0.25 ccs per 25 pounds of body weight using the 1% Ivermectin for injection.

This will get all susceptible parasites, but it will take several weeks to see the hair regrow.

I hope this makes sense & you find he information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns about your goats skin.

Thank you.