Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My kitten has a rhino virus and is having problems walking.

Customer Question

My kitten has a rhino virus and is having problems walking. She is 7 months old. We go her from TAP's and all the cats ran around together. She has had antibiotics and a shot for a fever. But now isn't eating and drinking very little. What should we do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The virus itself shouldn't cause problems walking. If her fever is very high, that could cause severe weakness. I would also be concerned if there is a neurological complication, or if she has low blood sugar from not eating. With these type of issues, if they are not eating, then it is usually recommended to get them hospitalized by your vet. She would need to be on intravenous fluids and some type of feeding support. It could be syringe feeding but putting a feeding tube in her would be the better option. I would want to run some blood work to make sure she doesn't have any liver problems. This could be a congenital issue or just from not eating. A cat's liver will just shut down from a couple days of starvation. Liver problems could lead to neurological complications as well. You can try syringe feeding at home, but my best advice is to get her back to your vet. It sounds like she needs to be hospitalized. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What percentage chance does she have of recovering from this
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

To be honest, there is no scientific backing with giving odds of survival for something like this. Any number I give you would just be a guess. Plus, it is extremely hard to determine something like that without physically seeing the patient. Generally speaking, most cats tend to recover from something like this. If I was grading prognosis on a scale of: excellent, good, fair, guarded, poor and grave; I would give a fair prognosis at this point. I know you are looking for a number, but that can vary widely depending on what vet you talk to. I hope this helps.