Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is showing symptoms of illness. He chooses to just

Customer Question

My cat is showing symptoms of illness. He chooses to just lay down and sleep and when I pick him up around his stomach area he cries in pain. I don't know if I should take him to the ER or wait until the morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about eating or drinking. We have 4 cats total so it could be any of them. He feels very warm though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is also taking heavy breaths but not rapid. Also with a light purr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belly/chest are moving but I can't hear the breathes from far away. Only if I put my ear to his body.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry no one got to your question earlier. Did you take your kitty in to the ER? If not, and he is still acting this way, he needs to get in ASAP. Whenever I see a boy cat who is lethargic/painful/acting painful when you touch his belly I worry very much that he could have a urerthral obstruction or be "blocked", where he cannot urinate. This is a medical emergency and needs to be relieved ASAP, so if your kitty is still acting this way, and you don't know for certain if he has been urinating, he needs to be seen immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took him to the vet already and they say he has a high fever and slightly blocked up but nothing of concern. They are going to hospitalize him for the time being.Thanks!
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, hope he feels better!