Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 15yr old cat he can't hear is really skinny has

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a 15yr old cat he can't hear is really skinny has lost a couple t heath now the lastcouple days he won't eat just walking around and lays down with face up agents the wall I have been watching for worm and haven't seen any sign of them he has also falling off the counter where his food is I don't want him to be in pain but at the same I can't afford to have a ezam then 85$ to put him to sleep I hate to have to do that at his age
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about Gabe's weight loss, lack of appetite, wandering and head pressing, and falling.
Of course he will be weak because he isn't eating well but he may also be weak because of whatever caused his loss of appetite in the first place.
In an older kitty that is most likely related to declining organ function, such as kidney or liver disease, or even a mass somewhere in his gastrointestinal tract that is interfering with his ability to eat. A viral or bacterial infection is possible but less likely at her age.

Gastrointestinal parasites can cause loose stools but they rarely cause weight loss in an adult cat, so I don't think parasites even if they are present are the whole trouble.

Cats that do not eat for several days can get secondary fatty infiltrates in the liver as they break down fats for energy to live. That can lead to severe liver disease itself called Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease. The build up of waste products because his liver isn't functioning normally can affect brain function and can cause problems with coordination and mental awareness as well as decrease his appetite.

I understand that finances are a big concern but Gabe is suffering now so ideally he would see a veterinarian today for an examination and some blood tests. If that isn't possible you can try some things at home.
You can try giving him an acid reducer to settle her stomach like Pepcid-Ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound cat every 12 hours. This medication is quite safe and can be used as needed.
Offer him meat baby foods, tuna sardines, canned cat food warmed in the microwave mixed with water.
If he refuses to eat use a medicine dropper to force water and food every few hours until you can have him seen.
Keep him quiet and warm so he can conserve energy since he isn't eating.
A veterinarian can help diagnose his condition but also can give supportive care like fluids, an appetite stimulant and high calorie critical care foods like Hills a/d.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help you find affordable care for him:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

You must have taken very good care of Gabe to get him to 15, but unfortunately he sounds like he is beyond helping at home now. Although I understand not wanting to let a beloved friend go I also think that you don't want to see him waste away and suffer and I believe that is where he is now.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he was eating good a couple days ago infact he wanted foodall the time he has had soft stools today my vet wants $ioo for exzam and won'tso ant until he has a complete work up humane society wants 85$
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Cats with hyperthyroidism, cancer and diabetes will often eat very well initially but continue to lose weight. Then once we see secondary organ failure (heart failure, kidney or liver failure) or ketoacidosis from untreated diabetes they get very sick, stop eating and become weak. I think one of these is likely the case with him.

If you know that you cannot afford long term treatment then it may be kindest to let him go via humane euthanasia now. I know that is difficult to face but Gabe is suffering now. I'm so sorry.