Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Dr. Deb - here. I 't know if you remember our

Dr. Deb - Sharon here. I don't know if you remember our conversations about Pita but I thought I would give you a quick update. He's growing and doing fine. He does still have seizures - maybe one or two a month. But they seem very mild, certainly not
grand mal, more a slight lack of coordination and confusion with an occasional head twitching. He's gotten quite good at coming to one of us when he knows a seizure is coming on. The number and severity are substantially less than just 4 months ago. He's the
smallest but gets in the most trouble. This is one kitten who is absolutely well-named. He loves to groom my roommate's hair, attack his brother and sister, drink out of my water glass and generally create chaos wherever he goes. I've attached a couple of
pictures so you can see the results of all your help. Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I certainly do remember our conversations about Pita; he's not a kitten easily forgotten:) I do so appreciate your updates about him; it's not like I can call you for a report like I would for my other pet owners whom I see at the hospital where I work.

Who would have thought that he would have done so well, given the adversity he faced when he was so young??

I think it bodes well for him that his neurological issues haven't worsened in either frequency or severity to the point where he'd require medication.

And, of course, he's the biggest trouble-maker since he's the smallest; in dog parlance, it's called small dog syndrome:)

They all are stunningly beautiful; you probably smile a billion times a day when you look at them:) Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I forgot to identify them for you
Pita is the darkest and smallest in body and tail with no white on his nose. I'm holding him in the one pic right after a little seizure. He's not very bright - I'm sure the seizures have a lot to do with that. It takes him longer to learn anything. He can be aggressive sometimes, too. But considering - yeah, not bad. The girl is off to be spayed this month. That's the last thing I need is more kittens. I'm just still shocked that they all survived and a big part of that is because of you. So I wanted say thanks.

Sharon:

I assumed that was Pita that you were holding and in the one with them eating, I assumed he was the one on the right (since that's the smallest kitten).

I wouldn't be surprised if his neurological issues at such as young age have something to do with his mental abilities but then again, I've met some not-very-bright-cats who didn't have these sorts of problems either so who knows?

I suspect that you did more than me in keeping them alive but just glad that it all worked out as well as it did:) Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pita. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pita is well-named - he is a royal pain in the ass. They all are. I guess they are spoiled, I don't know. But it is uncontrolled chaos in this house. You would think they had never eaten at every meal. I've had to physically, firmly shove them away and down from the food as I'm preparing it. Feeding the dogs first is an exercise in futility - they won't let the dogs near their own food. These damn cats have to literally be shut up in a room at each feeding time so that the dogs can have a little free time to eat. OMG - the dogs. They drive the dogs nuts, rubbing against them all the time. I swear, one of the dogs can hardly walk for a cat weaving in and out of her legs until I shove the cat away and tell him/her to leave the dog be.I've had more cats and kittens then I can count and I've never seen anything like these. At first I figured they were just growing, but they are almost 6 months old. I'm still feeding them 3 times a day and they go through 2 bags of dry food on top of that every 2 weeks. If you haven't gathered - they are driving me nuts today!And the destruction! Holy cow. Nothing is safe. Everything is on the floor (and I just had surgery a month ago - it's still hard for me to reach the floor). Everything that can be torn up is. The dogs' leashes are all over the place.Now I have to go assure the dogs it is ok for them to eat their own breakfast. Any insights? Want a cat?Geez.Sharon

Sharon:

It definitely sounds like a zoo at your house but I think I'll graciously decline your offer to take one of them off your hands:)

I hope you're doing well after your surgery though.

I sometimes think that kittens (or puppies) who were food deprived especially at a very, very young age never lose the instinctual feeling that they never know where their last meal is coming from...all evidence to the contrary. I don't know if this is why they all behave so obnoxiously around meal time or not but if it is, there's not much you're going to be able to do that will change it, unfortunately.

And, while kittens can be enormously fun, I think most people forget how incredibly destructive they can be where there's more than one of them.

Believe me when I say I know how overwhelming it can be at times. I have five dogs (two of whom are puppies under 6 months old) and three cats; some days I wonder what I must be thinking since their care can be non-stop (especially housebreaking the two puppies who should be housebroken by now!!).

It should get better though as they mature...at least I hope it does for your sanity. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a real quick update. The "boys" (Pita and Zen) made their contributions last week to the Monte Vista Animal Hospital Testicular Tuesday Festival (great price - only $20 each). The timing couldn't have been better since Freedom (the girl) went into heat that same night. Have played musical cat/rooms for nearly a week (Freedom in my room, boys in the house and then switch after 4 hours or so) but we managed to get through it without a pregnancy (I hope). Luckily, Freedom isn't vocal so there's been no mind-numbing calling and yeowling. Pita did have an extremely bad grand mal seizure the day after his operation (with the screaming and urinating), but I kinda expected that. He seems to be back to normal now. The best news is, for some reason, hitting the 6 month mark seems to have flipped the switch on eating and they are more content to self-feed with dry food and are happy with 2-3 small wet food meals a day (which are more for my old boy's benefit than theirs - he has very bad teeth). I guess because they have nearly reached their full size (I hope - Zen is huge!!). All 6 - and I - send you the best wishes for your Holidays to be happy and filled with joy and cheer.Sharon, Pita, Zen, Freedom, Napoleon, Maggie & Candy
(How ever did I end up with so many animals?!)

Sharon: That's definitely a bargain price for the boys contribution to the Festival, isn't it???? You are extremely lucky with the timing as well...or let's hope that Freedom wasn't in heat longer than you knew. Boy, that's all you'll need is more kittens on the way!!!

I wouldn't necessarily think they'd reached full size yet since they can often continue to grow up until about a year of age. I think you're just going to have a monster on your hands:)

Best wishes for the holidays back at you and your menagerie:))) Kindest regards, Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You always know how to brighten my day! lol I'm hoping I read the signs right on Freedom's heat - I knew she was ready but I didn't expect that night! Had a couple of close calls, but I'm hoping playing musical cats did the trick. We'll find out soon enough. I'm hoping to get her spayed next month. She's going to cost much more.Monte Vista Animal Hospital in Turlock does Testicular Tuesday Festival a couple of times a year. I don't know about where you live, but here, there's a big push to have the cat's ear clipped after fixing or spaying so they can be identified from a distance outside as a pet, not feral. I was surprised they took almost half an ear a piece, but they don't seem to mind and I'll get use to it, I guess. The price is almost scary low but the Animal Hospital does it as a public service a couple of times a year. Other than them trying to give me the wrong cat back, the boys seemed to get through it ok and these kittens have really stretched my disability benefit budget to the max. There have been times I would had to choose between them eating or me if it hadn't been for my wonderful roommate (don't worry - they always win. Dog food, cat food, dry food for both, cat sand, maybe a toy, then bills and then what's left over - off to the grocery store).I've probably pushed this $18 as far as I can so I'll close this out. I truly do hope you have a wonderful Holiday with your menagerie, too. And the pups will get potty trained. Or you can get someone to give you a carpet shampooer for Christmas like I did (I don't think my babies are ever going to be fully trained - I got them too old and untrained and I won't use physical punishment for accidents.) I love my carpet shampooer! lolSharon

Sharon,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you but there was a site issue and I couldn't access your most recent reply for some reason:(

Veterinary costs continue to shock even me to the point that having pets is almost a luxury these days for many owners....which is obviously a huge shame.

But, I never doubted that your "babies" would take priority even if you had to miss a few meals now and again:)

A carpet cleaner would certainly be nice and I'll put in on my wish list. Best of the holidays to you, Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wanted to send you an update picture of Mr. Pita. He's a happy and healthy cat. We all survived kittenhood. He still has seizures but no more than maybe 2 petite Mal a month and a grand Mal three times a year. Not enough to justify a lifetime of medication. We have a new addition - my roommate wanted a kitten of her own. Makes 7 in the house, not counting humans. 2 special diets, 4 cat boxes and one medication schedule. Oh, and a new vet who is reasonably priced and willing to run a tab for those of us who aren't millionaires. Lots of pets and one happy Mom (no matter how much I bitch at times). Happy Holidays to you and yours from The Menagerie

Sharon,

How sweet of you to send me a holiday update and picture (which I love!) of Mr. Pita:)) He looks happy and quite beautiful...or should that be handsome since he's a boy:)

Never say never when it comes to the number of pets in a household; I'm not sure I've decided if there's a maximum number to have so, who knows, there may be more in your future:)

Hope your holidays are good ones as well. Deb