Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 6 WK old kitten is having a seizure. Also had some fleas

Customer Question

My 6 WK old kitten is having a seizure. Also had some fleas after her birth. But keeps getting diarrhea. Am feeding Purina kitten chow and friskiest wet. The wet started the poops so I stopped the wet. I found the kitten for the last 2 days. Lying in poop and unresponsive
I gave her liquid vitamins and water in an eye dropper
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

What color are her gums?

Had her appetite been good?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she's probably having a hypoglycemic seizure from low blood sugar. To help, you can rub Karo syrup or honey on her gums. This gets absorbed quickly and should help get her out of her seizure. You should then make sure she eats, as it will only last ~ 10 minutes. If she won't eat willingly, you can syringe feed her some canned food/ water mixture.

When your vet opens, I would have her seen and get a fecal test run. That will help rule out underlying intestinal parasites that may be the root of the diarrhea issues.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.