Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Just noticed what appears to be blood in cats urine. 8+year

Customer Question

Just noticed what appears to be blood in cats urine. 8+year old male neutered tabby and is currently an indoor cat. His next litter brother sibling has taken to urinating in the bathroom sink, just recently, even in our presence. Also have a second litter sister to younger brother, who has been having diarrhea, watery very loose and misses the litter box frequently. After research, we believe her issue is caused from eating leaves from an avocado plant we have.
All three have had severe flea infestation we believe caused as a result of the eldest brother being allowed outside a few hours a day previously, but has been in the house exclusively for the past month. We have been treating with flea med products every 4-6 weeks. Although there seems to be a lessening of evidence of flea activity, they still scratch feverously.
The eldest brother and little sister almost appear to be having seizures at times when scratching, she first had the symptoms and a few weeks later the oldest male occasionally has a similar episode, and now he is showing blood in his urine also.
Could the flea medication be the erratic scratching and seizure like action be caused by overdosing with flea treatment? If so, what to do next to control fleas if not using treatment? Will they recover from this issue as the medication is worked out of their systems? I just looked at the eldest male and he has broken the skin and caused minimal bleeding above both of his eyes from scratching.
Next, what could be the cause of the onset of the urine blood and what to do to bring healing?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the questions.

The urinary issues sound like FIC (feline interstitial cystitis). This is largely a stress induced inflammatory condition of the bladder wall. It's caused by a number of stress factors- not enough litter boxes, inappropriate location of boxes, undesirable litter, inadequate cleaning, ect. It can be tough to figure out, so there are many things you can try. Here is a nice write up on the condition and a site with good options to help correct the problem in your house:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612

As for the flea control, I like to switch products every 3-4 weeks. I prefer Frontline, Revolution, Advantage or Sentry. These are all good products. The itching and neurologic signs sound like they're more related to the fleas and a flea allergy as opposed to the flea preventative.

Here's a nice write up on flea infestations and how to manage them:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3237

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.