Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat has a ulcer in s mouth, what are some home remedies I

Customer Question

My cat has a ulcer in his mouth, what are some home remedies I can use to help it heal? It was a result of a tumor removal surgery, and I'm afraid it might be more than an ulcer and may in fact be some tumor. Please, he's in pain and I just want to know what I can do at home to help him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that your kitty has been suffering with an oral ulcer. I'll do my best to help!

You are right in being concerned about him, as oral ulcers can be quite painful. While I can't legally diagnose him without seeing him in person, from your description I also would be worried that the ulcer is evidence of return of the tumor. Masses in cats' mouths can be quite malignant, so usually they do come back after being removed.

I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but I can't think of anything that you can safely do at home to help. However, I can think of a great deal of things that your vet can prescribe for him to alleviate his discomfort. Cats do not metabolize anti-inflammatory medications well, so unfortunately they can't be given medicines like aspirin. Tylenol is highly toxic to cats, so this is also a bad idea. However, if you call your vet you are likely to be able to have something prescribed for him, possibly without needing to bring him in for an exam. My goal for my patients when they are aging is to keep them as comfortable as possible, which for me includes decreasing unnecessary visits, so I do often prescribe medications for my patients in lieu of a physical examination when the pet has been in recently and has a disease that I know is likely to need more medications. One of my favorite medications to prescribe for my patients with oral pain is a concoction we call "magic swizzle" - it's a combination of sucralfate, which is a coating agent, benadryl, and lidocaine. I've also used a good bit of buprenorphine, tramadol, and gabapentin, which are all pain relieving medications that are usually safe in cats. Cats with painful mouths usually are more stressed than helped by treatments like salt water rinses, which is why I don't usually recommend them. They end up stressing the cat far more than they help. I'm so sorry that you have to see him in discomfort, but know that there are options out there that you can discuss with your vet. If you have any pain medications that were previously prescribed to him by the vet, don't hesitate to give them at the most frequent dose interval that the label states. I frequently prescribe medications only to hear that my owners aren't giving them as frequently as I'd recommended. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara