Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr. Drew, My year and I/2 male Maine coon cat has an injury

Customer Question

Dr. Drew, My year and I/2 male Maine coon cat has an injury to his neck, and has been licking it until his heavy fur is driping pink looking dampness from area. He continues to try to lick more, but will not let me touch area with a towel. Is it o.k. to try to give him a Tylenol double strength, or should
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Tylenol is an absolute NO. One dose of Tylenol will actually kill a cat. It is very toxic to their liver. There really aren't any safe human OTC anti-inflammatory or pain medications you can give a cat. They can all have bad side effects. It looks like the very last part of your question was cut off, so I am not 100% sure what you were going to ask, but in a situation like this, the best thing I can recommend is to get him to a vet. There is most likely a laceration or bite wound (especially if he goes outside with the latter). They can sedate him, shave the area and get a look what is going on. If there is a cut or wound, he may need stitches and an antibiotic injection. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.