Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What can I give my cat cold

Customer Question

What can I give my cat for a cold
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What signs are your cat showing?

Does Dazzle have nasal or eye discharge? If so, what color?

With nasal discharge is it from one nostril or both?

Any appetite loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nasel discharge its yellowish no he eats
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And is the discharge from both sides?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its,from both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you answer me in a text
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First I am glad to hear that Dazzle has nasal discharge from both sides; as this makes more sinister issues (ie polyps, fungal infections, foreign bodies, tumors) less likely. Instead, our most likely suspect would be our cat flu (aka upper respiratory tract infection) agents.

Now I must warn you that if the discharge is yellow, that is a sign of bacterial infection. This means we will likely need antibiotics from his vet to clear this. Still, there are some supportive measures you can use to ease his signs and help his immune system fight this. To start, if he sounds congested or is sneezing, then we'd want to steam treat Dazzle. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any congestion or airway irritation. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room.

If he is building up any mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can also use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, you can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated) to clear any nasal irritation and congestion. Tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

You mentioned that he is eating (which is good), but we do want to monitor that. Any lapse in appetite and we can use smelly wet foods (since they are high in water) to break through the scent blocking congestion. It can also help to warm food in the microwave to help him be able to smell it. Or if he eats less, we can use calorie rich diets like Clinicare, Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even wet pate style kitten food. All can be offered directly or watered down for him to lap or for us to syringe feed.

Finally, since feline herpes is a common agent that can cause these signs, I would note that we find that L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) helpful in speeding recovery. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, health food stores, and online. It comes as a gel, powder, or crushable table to all be mixed with food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.So, this would be a consideration for him.

Overall, if we have yellow nasal discharge, then we do need to tread with care. Though further to antibiotics, we would want to use the above supportive care to reduce Dazzle's signs and help him fight this flu.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll behappy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all theinformation you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.