Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Can you help identify what's going on with our kitty: 4 days

Customer Question

Can you help identify what's going on with our kitty:
4 days ago presented with right eye trauma; no visible scratches or cuts but has gotten progressively worse. Possible contact with fox, skunk, raccoon.
Night 1 & 2: irritated, bothered by it, he scratched it. Not crusty but would tear after eating.
Night 3 & 4: cloudy, very little reflection, eye doesn't blink. Almost looked like it was getting better, but now he's shaking his head often, scratching at his ears, & obvious limited vision. I have pictures as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitten. Can you post the photos for you and I can see if there is anything I can tell you based on those? Thanks!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Also, do you feel that the eye looks any smaller or more sunken than the other normal eye?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pix are most past 4 days; one with tongue sticking out is most recent. Eye isn't sunken in but seems smaller b/c he doesn't want it open all the time. It was nearly sealed shut this am
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for the photos. The most recent one is a bit blurry but based on all of them I would tell you he needs to be seen by a vet, and most likely prescribed an antibiotic for his eye. I am concerned he could have a corneal ulcer as a result of trauma or as a result of something like feline herpes virus (don't worry, people can't catch it!). Article on ulcers or erosions to the cornea: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=554

The whiteness to the eye is probably corneal edema as a result of the inflammation in the eye.

Article on feline herpes virus: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1327

Regardless of the cause of the issue, it is most definitely serious enough to warrant medical attention ASAP if you don't want permanent damage to the eye, and for the kitty's comfort! We are beyond the point where at home treatment is going to be enough for your kitty, she needs prescription medication. Your vet will want to examine her and put a special stain on her eye to check for defects in the cornea. I hope this information has helped to answer your question. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for answering your question. Good luck and thank you!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking to be sure you got my response and see if you had any other questions about your kitty?