Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

We have seven indoor cats who are very close to us. We

Customer Question

We have seven indoor cats who are very close to us. We resently adopted a stray and brought it into our home. The majority of the cats sleep with us. One night the new cat bit one of the original seven on the back. Since then he has been very shy. There does not appear to be any wound. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will try to answer your question. I take it that it is the bitten cat that is shy. and named Onyx. It appears that your kitty was traumatized by the attack. The new cat is probably trying to assert his dominance. Sometimes it takes a while for all the cats to rearrange the dynamics of their relationships with each other. Introducing a new cat can be difficult. I would recommend that you remove the new cat from the bedroom but let him be with other cats that he doesn't bully. If your Onyx relaxes, then you can try giving them some time together, but supervised by you. Then gradually let them spend more time together. Hopefully this gradual reintroduction will work. The dynamics between the cats usually changes

when a new one is introduced. Give Onyx lots of love to calm him. If the new cat continues to bully Onyx, then you must make a decision, keep them permanently apart or accept that Onyx will not be happy. I don't like to use a tranquilizer because the once the sedation wears off the problem still exists and sometimes the sedation confuses the cat and it may make him more aggressive.

I hope this helped. Please send me a message letting me know that you received this. If you have any more to add I'd be happy to continue this dialog.

Hello Ron,

Did my answer help you ? You have a difficult situation and I hope that Onyx will not be continually bullied by the new cat and that she will become her old self.

Please rate this service. Thank you.