Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our cat Casper has pooped in my husband's room twice this

Customer Question

Our cat Casper has pooped in my husband's room twice this week. The first time he went in his closet and pulled his shirts off the hangers to cover it up. Then had diarrhea in his bed and covered that with a sheet. Then two days later he pooped again in the bed and covered it up with the sheet. I have two cats and know it is Casper cause he is always covering up the dogs wee wee pads after they pee. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. When you have inappropriate elimination like this, the first thing that needs to be done is to make sure there isn't a medical problem causing this. With him having diarrhea that time, he may have a dietary issues, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, intestinal parasites (less likely if indoors only), liver problems or pancreatic problems. Your husband's room may just be where he chooses to hide it. Anxiety about something should still be a concern, but you usually don't see the diarrhea associated with that, so if medical issues are not ruled out, you will most likely have a very hard time controlling it. Your vet should at the vary least run some routine blood work and a urinalysis. If a medical problem is not found, then I would start to address anxiety issues. Try and find if there is something with your husband or the room that may be causing anxiety. Anything new in his environment could set it off. It may help to put a litter box in his room to see if that helps. Make sure the litter box is uncovered, scooped daily and cleaned with hot water and soap only weekly. This goes for any other litter boxes you may have. If you have 2 cats, you should have at least 3 litter boxes. Make sure you have not changed the brand or type of litter and that the boxes are not near a loud appliance. You want them in a low traffic area but where they can view their surroundings when using it. You can even try putting a Feliway diffuser in his room. It is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve anxiety and can deter cats from wanting to eliminate where they detect it. If worse comes to worse, you may need to consider talking to your vet about putting him on anti-anxiety medications. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.