Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Male cat 6month old neutered 3 day ago/penis will not

Customer Question

Male cat 6month old neutered 3 day ago/penis will not retract no swelling peeing ok. What can I do keeping clean / using antibiotic ointment to keep moist what can I do vet on trip
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. RB:) How long has Buddy's penis been extracted out of the sheath? You will need to keep it lubricated with warm water until you are able to get it back into the sheath. I would not use antibiotic ointment but use petroleum jelly all the way around the mucosa to help pull the sheath back over the penis. This will most likely take two people; one to hold and one to coax it back in. If you attempt this for 30 minutes or so OR if Buddy becomes angry/anxious you will most likely need to take him in to your regular DVM to help you. You do not want to allow it stay out for long to compromise blood flow to the penis and/or leave it vulnerable to external trauma as well as possible occlusion to the urethral opening. I hope this is helpful to you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very good quick response thank you

You are very welcome;) If my advice helped you, I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to give my response a positive rating? thanks so much

Hello again, I hope Buddy is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett