Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat has been eating. Active. But he is omitting two times

Customer Question

My cat has been eating. Active. But he is omitting two times day. In his vomit there are small pieces about an inch long that looks like nylon fishing thread. I think he got into my husband gilding stuff. Should I give him anything? Hair ball medicine? Active just committing.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is he vomiting?

2- Is he eating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cat is eating. Asks for wet food. He has his dry food out also. Very active. I stopped today giving ant wet food. It looks like he only threw up once today which is better than last two days. Prior he had vomit 3 to 4 times a day three days in row. He seems better today. He also is drinking a lot of water.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by either a primary problem within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that he is drinking a lot of water this could be an indication of a systemic disease like: Kidney or liver disease, diabetes, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. In other words, by having any of these diseases this will cause him to vomit.

In this case, on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause as many diseases share similar symptoms. Ragnar will need to have a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, you can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ragnar. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter